Ravi Mohan's Blog

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

The Heart Must Pause

I've been blogging for almost 5 years now. For the last few months, I've been feeling that this blog is more and more out of synch with who I am, what I care about and what I really want to write about.

I started writing on this blog because, when I asked someone how to get good enough to write a book, I got the reply, "First learn how to write a blog entry, then write articles, then write a series of linked articles and then you are ready for the book".

Good advice. What started as pure technical practice, along the lines of practising scales in music, turned into a medium for exploring and clarifying my thoughts. On the way, I gathered an audience and generated a "blog persona" (very unlike the real me but it was a lot of fun),met interesting women and got job offers. All good. The problem with developing such a "persona" or "voice" is that when your perspective shifts radically in a short time frame, it is hard to maintain continuity.

And so, and this is the last post on this particular blog and using this particular "voice". I do plan to write again, in the future, but whether such writing takes the form of a blog, and if so, whether I'll have an "open to all" blog, remains to be seen. If I do write, it will probably show up on my (rather bare now, but that will change, in time) website.

Anyone who has spent time reading this blog and approved or (sometimes violently) disapproved, Thank You for your time. T'was a lot of fun.

"One Man Hacking" is now dead. R.I.P

PS: for those who care about such things, this post's title comes from a poem

So We'll Go No More a-Roving by Lord Byron

SO we'll go no more a-roving

So late into the night,

Though the heart still be as loving,

And the moon still be as bright.

For the sword outwears its sheath,

And the soul outwears the breast,

And the heart must pause to breathe,

And love itself have rest.

Though the night was made for loving,

And the day returns too soon,

Yet we'll go no more a-roving

By the light of the moon.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I started reading this blog almost an year ago and this is the first time i am commenting. You always had very clear thinking and vast knowledge and contacts. We are all your fans :) .
We will miss your thoughts. Please keep us posted through your website.

Pramod said...

Dude, this is the end of an era! :-)

Anyway, I've always enjoyed reading what you said, maybe not agreed with some things, but that part doesn't matter anyway. All I can say is, it was a good blog, and I wish you all the best for the future!

Kaushik said...

Ravi, I have been enjoying your posts for the last 2.5 years. You have helped push my thinking into paths i would not have taken otherwise. Thanks for that.

Will keep out a watch on your website.

Henry said...

We indians always have tried to look forward with references and when there is no reference we feel lost. Very few have comeup expressing ideas and thoughts in open which are pratical and it always gave pleasure to revive them via reading your blog. I think i will miss all these.You had been a good reference. It was fun.

1 big Q: How will we all know that the pheonix is back from RIP?

Darius Damalakas said...

A very sincere post.
mana for heart,
tak

Anonymous said...

Thanks you, Ravi for this blog.

Anonymous said...

Sad to hear.
I've really enjoyed reading your blog.