Ravi Mohan's Blog

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Resolutions for 2008

Well, the more public (publishable?) ones.

  1. Upgrade tech skills.
  2. Publish two (or more) research papers in peer reviewed journals. This is a tough one but I have mentors who'll guide me through the process, so it should come down to sustaining intense work for a few months. (Added: - This isn't tough because it is particularly hard to do, like running a mile in under four minutes. Quite a few people, and not all of them geniuses by any stretch of the imagination, get published worldwide every year. It is tough because it requires a different style of thinking and habits which are somewhat alien to people not in the academic world)
  3. Solve the "work with good people" dilemma. Consulting is lucrative but lonely and consumes enormous amounts of time. Working for someone else leads to working on insignificant problems, churning through jsp pages or whatever, at least in Bangalore, Bangalore being the place where companies send work no one in the West wants to do.

    I've been working by myself for the last three years and would really love to work with a small team.

    Given that I'll be in Bangalore for most of 2008, this is a tough nut to crack. Whenever I mention this to someone, they say "Oooh why don't you join Google?". One of my friends has just joined Google (not in Bangalore!!) where he'll work with some of the best Unix developers in the world on an ultra hush hush, technically challenging project. (He is a brilliant programmer and quite deserves the dream job). But, given that Google Bangalore doesn't have anyone of that calibre (or any projects of that calibre), joining the big G (or the Big Y, or the big M) in India isn't an option. I don't want to work on Orkut ! :-).

    And there are precious few companies in Bangalore who work on tough problems. As I said, a tough nut to crack, but we'll see.

  4. Learn a classical language, to the point where I can read a classic work of literature in the orginal (I choose Sanskrit for 2008 - I know the basics. Maybe Hebrew or classical Greek for 2009?).
  5. Memorize a complete Shakespeare play (I choose Julius Caesar). If you are wondering why I'd do something like this, read the book "Flow"

7 comments:

Kartik Agaram said...

Memorize a complete Shakespeare play (I choose Julius Caesar). If you are wondering why I'd do something like this, read the book "Flow"

I've read it a while ago, and I still don't get it. Pray elaborate.

Ravi said...

Chapter 6 (the flow of thought) section: "The mother of science"

I'd just like to have a complete literary work in my head so I can "replay" it when I feel like it. :-). In other words, I think it is cool to be able to do something like this.

"Flow" explains the auxiliary benefits and reasons for doing something like this better than I could (and so is better then "cool" as an explanation. Hence the reference)

KetanPadegaonkar said...

I've been reading through your blog and this particular post seems interesting.

I joined TW a while back and keep hearing your names in quite some conversations.

Hope to bump into you at the devcamp !

KetanPadegaonkar said...

PS: You really seem to be one person who likes pushing the bar higher.

Ravi said...

"keep hearing your names in quite some conversations."

why do I get a feeling that those conversations might be "interesting" ones? ;-)

Ravi said...

Ketan,
"You really seem to be one person who likes pushing the bar higher."

It is all a matter of alternatives. When the alternative is stultifying boredom and stagnation, *anyone* will gnaw at the bars and make a break for the barbed wire fences!

In other words, it isn't so much resoluteness as desperation!

Anonymous said...

Never seen a polymath like you !!